Residents called 911 to report a chimney fire just after 11:00 p.m. Tuesday
MONTGOMERY, Mass. (WWLP) – The Montgomery Fire Department is in mourning Wednesday evening, after their fire chief collapsed and later died while putting out a house fire on Southampton Road.
State Fire Marshal Peter Ostroskey identified the firefighter as 59-year-old Montgomery Fire Chief Stephen Frye.
Department of Fire Services Public Information Officer Jennifer Mieth told 22News Frye was operating a hose in the back of the home at 1524 Southampton Road Tuesday evening when he collapsed. Frye was taken to Baystate Noble Hospital in Westfield, where he died.
“The small, close-knit fire department is devastated by the loss of the member, as is the entire community of Montgomery and the area first responders,” Meith said in a release sent to 22News.
The small town of Montgomery is mourning the loss of a father, friend and firefighter. Governor Charlie Baker said on Twitter he was “heartbroken to hear of the tragic loss” of Chief Frye, and sent his thoughts and prayers to his family and the Montgomery Fire Department.
Continue reading Post ID 91821